Thursday, February 14, 2013

In honor of Valentine's Day

As a 4-year old, Henry often questions the constructs of relationships - romantic, familial, friendships. This leads to a lot of amusing conversations. Just when you think he's got the basics, we start back at the beginning. In honor of Valentine's Day, here is a transcript of a recent, ongoing conversation.

Henry (with slightly wistful tone), Mommy, when is Daddy going to find someone?

I'd like to think he already has.

What? What do you mean?

What do you mean?

(with a slightly exasperated tone) I mean, when is Daddy going to get married?

Daddy IS married.

What?!! To who??

Me.

You! (with a slightly incredulous tone) You?

Yes, Henry, Daddy is married to me. Daddy is my husband, and I am his wife.

You got married. To Daddy?

Yes. 

(with a slightly indignant tone) WHEN???

Seven years ago. 

Was I there?

No. You weren't born yet. 

(with a slightly jealous tone) Was Charlie there?

No, he wasn't born yet either.

(with a slightly curious tone) How did Daddy ask you to marry him?

Umm, on a beach. He said, will you marry me?

And you said yes?

Yes.

(with a slightly worried tone) Well, Mommy, how will I know that the person is going to say yes when I ask them to marry me?

 Oh Henry. You'll know.



No comments:

Post a Comment